Why Every Teacher Should Blog - Reason #4

Teachers are amazing, and any teacher that can make it through thirty years of teaching deserves a round of applause. And a purple heart. Because teaching requires us to hit the trenches, day after day. As a teacher, with nine years under my belt, I like to think that I've learned a thing or two. I know I've learned that you should never make fun of a teacher with more experience than you. They've survived the game longer that you have and deserve your respect - even if they do spend most of their time yelling at the kids and pressing play on the VCR. I've also learned the two fundamental truths of teaching:

  • No matter how good it went today, the kids will always be back tomorrow.
  • No matter how bad it went today, the kids will always be back tomorrow.
Which brings me to reason number four (of "Why Every Teacher Should Blog").

Reason #4: They say you can't teach a dog new tricks - but since we expect new tricks out of our students every day, we'd might as well learn a few ourselves.

Which is why I'm so proud of Russ Lauber. Russ is a veteran - honestly one of the best of the best. He's been teaching in the public school system for more than 30 years (I feel honored to say that I've known him for the last eight). He coached girls' swimming for somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 years and won the state championship every year he coached. Every single year. For 25 years!

But Russ has never blogged. Until now!

I am so please to announce that Russ, never afraid to "learn new tricks", has decided to try his hand at blogging. His new blog can be found at http://laubsblog.blogspot.com/. Veterans, please take a look, welcome him aboard.

And for Russ (and any other newbie out there - myself included), I would recommend three things:
  • Take Vicki Davis' tips to heart. She's been doing this for several years now and can also be considered as one of the best of the best.
  • Know that the blogosphere is a great place to "be", full of a world of wonderful people, ever willing to help.
  • Don't let your blog run your life. As far as I can tell, a blog is nothing more nor less than what you make it. I've made mine a place to reflect, a place to connect, and a place to bounce my ideas off of other people.
So hold on, Russ. Have fun. And continue to amaze us all.

Technorati Tags:

blog comments powered by Disqus
Creative Commons License
Original content distributed on this site is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.