The Squeaky Wheel

So here’s a fun one. Happened yesterday.

I’m checking out the Dish Network website and notice they’ve got a deal on a DVR upgrade. Only $5.98 a month. Sure, I can handle that.


So I give 'em a call, tell 'em about the deal and, "Hey, I'm all over the upgrade. What do I need to do?"

"We're sorry, but you'll need to upgrade receivers in order to take advantage of this offer," I'm told. "Only $100 and you'll be in business."

Now, will that be paper or plastic?

"So your website is telling me a lie?" I retaliate.

"Well, that deal is for new customers only."

Right.

"Then cancel my account, please. We're switching to DirectTV." At this point I explain how sorry I am to do this, I mean, we've been faithful customers for over eight years.

The lady on the other end then asks to speak to my wife. Sure, I know she's the primary name on the account but I figure this is female bonding time.

Five minutes later and it's still my turn to watch the kids while my wife deals with the dudes at Dish.

"Sometime between noon and five? That sounds fine," says my wife in her normal cheerful tone.

Man, is she good.

Turns out the dudes at Dish want to keep us as customers after all. A free DVR upgrade and a special deal later and they've retained us as patrons - they're happy because we've decided to stick it out for yet another day and we're happy because we're paying only two bucks more a month for a service we've wanted for years.

So what's the moral of the story? I count three:

  1. Always let your wife make the phone calls demanding better service.
  2. Some services cost money, and time, and a little extra effort - even if they should come free with the standard subscription.
  3. The squeaky wheel always gets the grease.
It's a good thing that schools don't do business the way satellite TV providers do.

Right.

Technorati Tags:

Creative Commons License
Original content distributed on this site is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.